Setup ACMS Remote Printing on your Windows XP computer
You must have "Local Administrator" privileges in order to install print drivers or modify print queues. If you are working with your own personal computer, it is likely that you already have these administrative rights.
- First, download the following files to your local computer:
- Next, you must install a new local printer for each type (model) of ACMS printer you intend to use. To do this, run the Adobe Postscript printer driver installer
- At the "Printer Connection Type" dialog, choose "Local Printer"
- For the first ACMS Printer you install, select the "FILE:" port for this printer.
- At the "Select Printer Model" dialog, click on "Browse" and select the appropriate PPD file from the files you downloaded earlier.
- When you return to the "Select Printer Model" dialog, select the correct model name once more.
- We suggest you prepend "ACMS" to the default printer name. Do not print a test page at this point in the configuration process.
- Select "Install" to complete the driver installation.
- ACMS lab printers use the default hardware options; when at the "Printer Configuration" dialog there is no need to configure the printer.
- Next, go to "Start" / "Printers/Fax" , and open up the printer list window. Right-click on the new printer you've just installed, and select "Properties".
- Within the "Properties" dialog, choose the "Ports" tab, and then click on the "Add Port" button.
- From the list of port types provided, choose "Standard TCP/IP Port", then click on "New Port..."
- When prompted for "Printer Name or IP Address", enter "print.ucsd.edu".
- The next screen you see will report "Additional Port Information Required". Under the "Device Type" heading, select "Custom", then click on "Settings..."
- Under "Protocol", select "LPR". Under "LPR Settings", enter a Queue Name of "relay", and make sure that "LPR Byte Counting Enabled" is turned on (checked). Select "OK" to return to the Printer Properties dialog.
- The new port ("print.ucsd.edu") should now be selected (checked). You may now click "Close" to apply your changes.
- The preceding Port Setup steps are only required for the first ACMS printer driver you install. To install additional models/drivers, re-run the Adobe Postscript installation program, select "local port", and reuse the "print.ucsd.edu" port you've already created.
Once you've installed the drivers, you may login via print.ucsd.edu, select your desired printer, and begin printing using the ACMS printers you've configured on your local system.