Psi for Windows
is a free chat client available for download on Windows and Mac. Be sure to download and install the client on your computer.
Run Psi and you will receive the following message. Select "Use existing account."
In the Account
tab, enter username
ucsd.edu under "XMPP Address". Enter your Active Directory password.
- You may optionally have Psi automatically connect on startup or reconnect if disconnected or waking from sleep
- Leave "Log message history" unchecked, since chat.ucsd.edu doesn't log conversations
In the Connection tab, make sure the following settings are entered:
- Check Send "keep-alive" packets (to prevent timeouts)
- Check Manually Specify Server Host/Port:
- Host: chat.ucsd.edu
- Port: 5223
- Encrypt connection: Legacy SSL
- Allow plaintext authentication: Over encrypted connection
Be sure to save your settings once you've finished!
To add a friend, click on the Psi icon or General, then select Add a Contact
The Add Contact Dialog will appear. In this dialog, enter the XMPP address of your friend and Nickname your friend anything you like. You may also add them to any Groups you might have in your contact list. Once you click Add, they will appear in your contact list.