OS X El Capitan (10.11)
El Cpaitan is the latest major release of the OS X operating system by Apple. The update was released on September 30th, 2015, through the Macintosh App Store. ResNet rcommends that all users upgrade to El Capitan if their computer supports it.
El Capitan comes with the following upgrades and features over the previous version:
- Split View - Similar to Windows Snap, this allows you to automatically resize two applications to fill half of the screen by dragging the application to either edge.
- Mission Control - Apple has redesigned the Mission Control window management software to improve program switching.
- Find your cursor - If you lose your cursor, shake your mouse back and forth and your pointer will enlarge, allowing you to find it.
- Spotlight - Improvements to the search system within OS X, including results from the internet, and natural language searching.
- Notes - Notetaking application that syncronizes with iCloud and other Apple devices.
- Photos - Improved editing tools and support for "Live Photos" from the newest iOS devices.
- OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) or later
- 2 GB of Memory
- 8.8 GB of available storage
Models eligible for upgrade:
- MacBook (Early 2015)
- MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
- MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
- MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
- Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
- iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
- Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)
- Xserve (Early 2009)
Please note that not all features are available on every Macintosh computer. For more information on requirements for certain features, please visit Apple's website.
How much does the upgrade cost?
The upgrade is free. If you are meet the minimum system requirements and are one of the computers listed above, you can download the upgrade from the App Store for no charge. An Apple ID is required to download the update.
Is there anything I should do before upgrading to OS X El Capitan?
Always backup your computer before you begin installing new software. We also suggest that you do the following to ensure that El Capitan installs properly:
- Update any software on your computer by going to the App Store / software's website
- Update your current operating system to the latest version using software update before you upgrade to the latest OS version
- Connect your computer to your power adapter and ensure your battery is fully charged.